Do you know what S’mores are? Our friend from America told us about them. They are an American camping treat that is made from three ingredients: marshmallow, chocolate and biscuits. If you were camping, you would sandwich a marshmallow and chocolate between two graham crackers or biscuits, wrap it in foil and warm it over a campfire.
Filling and sticky, S’mores are the greatest camping treat in the world! It is even better than McDonald’s. So why wait until you go camping to eat them when you can make them at home!
S’more is a contraction of ‘some more’. Try this recipe and everyone will be asking for some more S’mores!
If using shop bought biscuits:
Cook time: 5 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Makes: 8-10 S’mores
If making the graham crackers from scratch:
Cook time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes (plus 1 hour refrigeration time)
Makes: 10 S’mores
For the S’mores
– 1 packet of marshmallows
– 250g block of milk or dark chocolate
– 20 Graham Crackers (if you can’t find them at the shop, follow the instructions below to make them at home! Otherwise you can use shop-bought wheat biscuits such as McVities Digestives or Arnott’s Shredded Wheatmeal)
For the Graham Crackers (skip this if you are using shop bought biscuits)
– 2 cups wholemeal flour
– 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
– ½ teaspoon salt
– 100g butter, cubed at room temperature
– 3 tablespoons milk
– 1/3 cup honey
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– ½ cup plain flour for dusting
If you are making the Graham Crackers, you will also need:
– Pizza cutter (or butter knife)
– Baking trays
– Rolling pin
– Cling film
For the Graham Crackers
If you are using shop bought biscuits, go to ‘Assemble the S’mores’ below.
- In a large bowl, mix the wholemeal flour, sugar, cinnamon, bicarb soda and salt.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingertips until they resemble coarse breadcrumbs.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk, honey and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the middle of the breadcrumb mixture and stir in the milk mixture until it forms a ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough ball in cling film and chill for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- After the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Dust some baking paper with about ½ a cup of plain flour on a tabletop and roll out your dough into 0.8cm thickness on top of the baking paper. This dough is quite soft, so if it is hard to roll, put it back into the refrigerator for another 1 minutes.
- Use a ruler to mark 5cm x 12cm rectangles and use your ruler and pizza cutter or knife to carefully cut the dough.
- Use the ruler and pizza cutter to gently score each cracker into quarters.
- Use a fork to gently prick holes along each cracker. This makes the classic Graham Cracker cookie pattern!
- Gently slide the baking paper with the dough onto a baking tray.
- Gently separate each cracker with your fingertips (dusted with a bit of flour so it doesn’t stick).
- Bake the crackers for 10-12 minutes until they rise and a little bit soft.
- Cool the crackers on a wire rack, bottom side up. They will harden when they cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Assemble the S’mores
You can melt the S’mores in the oven, BBQ or microwave!
- If using an oven or BBQ, preheat to 150°C.
- Get two graham crackers or biscuits.
- Get a marshmallow and cut it in half.
- Get two squares of chocolate.
- Put the squares of chocolate and marshmallows on the bottom biscuit and put the biscuit on top to make a sandwich. Don’t press it down. If cooking in the microwave, don’t put the top biscuit on yet.
- If cooking on a BBQ, wrap each biscuit in foil and heat for 3 minutes.
- If cooking in an oven, you can put the S’mores on a tray lined with baking paper and heat for 3 minutes.
- If cooking in the microwave, put your S’more on a plate with a piece of kitchen paper towel and microwave on high for 15 seconds. As soon as it comes out of the microwave, put on the top biscuit.
- Keep a close eye on your S’more. It is ready when the marshmallow puffs up!
10. Climb in your tent and eat your S’mores straight away.